We’ve all been there, you’re driving defensively and it feels like every other driver out there is out to hit your car. Here are 30 of the funniest and most bizarre auto claims from around the US.
1. (A question from the claim form) Q: Could either driver have done anything to avoid the accident? A: Traveled by bus?
2. A bull was standing near and a fly must have tickled him because he gored my car.
3. Cow wandered into my car. I was afterwards informed that the cow was half-witted.
4. I heard a horn blow and was struck violently in the back. Evidently a lady was trying to pass me.
5. The accident was caused by me waving to the man I hit last week.
6. The car in front of me stopped for a yellow light, so I had no choice but to hit him. (She pushed him through the intersection)
7. The gentleman behind me struck me on the backside. He then went to rest in a bush with just his rear end showing.
8. The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intentions.
9. There was no damage done to the car, as the fence post will testify.
10. Windshield broke. Cause unknown. Probably Voodoo.
11. The claimant had collided with a cow. The questions and answers on the claim form were:
Q: What warning was given by you?
Q: What warning was given by the other party?
12. The guy in front of me was driving too fast and I saw the Christmas tree lift off and it flew straight at me. The trunk made a great dent in my hood and caused me to run off the road and into a bush. The guy didn’t stop and he never came back for his tree!
13. A couple vacationing in southern France filed an insurance claim for the paint on their car after it got licked off by a herd of cows.
14. A claim was filed by a Virginia man stating that his windshield was head butted by an angry deer on his way to work.
15. No one was to blame for the accident, but it never would have happened if the other driver had been alert.
16. The indirect cause of this accident was a little guy in a small car with a big mouth.
17. In my attempt to kill a fly, I drove into a telephone pole.
18. Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.
19. A motorist rear ended another car, damaging the taillight. As he backed up to assess the damage, he bumped into the car behind him. After this second mishap, he decided to stop and get out of the car. Sadly, his troubles weren’t over yet. A passing bicyclist hit the car door.
20. A man made a claim to his insurance company that parts of his car were stolen. In order to prove this claim was true, the man sent pictures of his car to his insurance company. Upon first glance the pictures seemed genuine; however, when the pictures were inspected more closely, it became apparent that this wasn’t quite the case. The man had taken close up pictures of a toy car that was the same color and make of his own car to try to get money from his insurance company. Now that’s creative!
21. A car was damaged by a peacock that, on seeing its reflection, clawed the car.
22. A driver caused a multi car shunt after being startled by a spider dangling from the rear view mirror.
23. A car was damaged at a village fete when a miniature pony broke loose and climbed onto the hood.
24. A man’s classic 1965 Ford Mustang was ruined when a neighbors’ goats sneaked out of their pen and wandered into his garage, where they jumped all over the car and chewed on it.
25. Claimant was driving her car in a town in the U.S. and encountered a round-about, which she had never seen before. She didn’t know what to do. She failed to yield and hit a vehicle, causing damage to both cars. Her insurance carrier paid for the damage to both cars since it was her fault. Claimant had two more accidents in the same round-about, causing her insurance carrier to pay on the claim. Finally, an adjuster called her and questioned her about the mishaps. Claimant admitted that she didn’t know what to do when she came to the round-about and so the adjuster e-mailed her a youtube.com video about how do negotiate a round-about.
26. A woman was driving her Range Rover to school to pick up her children from her weekly car pool and while she was driving she felt something on her leg. She looked down and it was a Huge Hairy Spider. She screamed and started frantically shaking her right leg. She drove her car right in to a Tree! The air bags deployed but she was not out of it from the impact and said she bailed out of the car immediately after the accident as she did not know where the spider was tossed. She was more upset from the spider than the damage to her vehicle.
27. A man was driving his wife and two daughters to a Girl Scout meeting in a neighbor hood they were not familiar with. They got an intersection where the only options were left and right, this driver chose instead to follow his GPS guidance and go straight. He missed the initial stop sign, ran over the top of the curb, and continued for another 100 feet before hitting a HOUSE.
28. Three women visiting Bellevue, Washington, were out after midnight, unable to find their way back to their hotel. They finally turned on the GPS to get them to their hotel. They took what they thought was a road that would lead them to the highway. Instead, their Chevy Tahoe ended up sinking into deep water. The road turned out to be a boat launch, and the water a lake. All three women managed to get out safely, and swim to shore, but by the time the tow truck arrived, the SUV was completely submerged and at the bottom of the lake.
29. The insured said that the car in front of her suddenly stopped and so it was not her fault for rear-ending the car. At arbitration, Plaintiff called two witnesses that testified that they saw the insured eating soup while driving down the road, using her elbows to steer. The insurer settled the case shortly thereafter.
30. A family was on a mini holiday vacation and staying at a hotel. Their eight year old boy took his Dad’s car keys while his parents were sleeping, snuck out of the hotel room and went for a joy ride. When he returned he could not hit the brakes fast enough and crashed through the motel and right into the motel room where his parents were sleeping. When the cops came and investigated the scene the discovered the father had an outstanding warrant and took the Dad directly to jail.